Monday, February 22, 2010

Love Letters

Love can be expressed in a myriad of different methods, but the most timeless and most treasured will always remain the classic love letter. I often think about the greatest love letters ever written by Napoleon, Beethoven, Cathrine of Aragon and many others . All the love felt, was written on a piece of paper and delievered by hand to the loved ones. Sometimes I wish I lived in those times where this pure form of love continues to linger in a pen. I just think it's more romantic to have something written on a paper to the person we love, adore (family, a friend, or a beloved). Those word stay there to live forever, even after we are gone. Our deepest emotions that nobody can take away from us.

I am listening to Mystic Diversions - Josephine and it reminded me of Napoleon's letter to his beloved Josephine Beauharnais :

" I awake all filled with you. Your image and the intoxicating pleasures of last night, allow my senses no rest. Sweet and matchless Josephine, how strangely you work upon my heart. Are you angry with me? Are you unhappy? Are you upset? My soul is broken with grief and my love for you forbids repose. But how can I rest any more, when I yield to the feeling that masters my inmost self, when I quaff from your lips and from your heart a scorching flame? Yes! One night has taught me how far your portrait falls short of yourself! You start at midday: in three hours I shall see you again. Till then, a thousand kisses, mio dolce amor! but give me none back for they set my blood on fire. "

Dec. 29, 1795












To Bibeya, from Gimil-Marduk:
 May Shamash and Marduk grant you, for my sake, to live for ever. I write this in order to enquire after your health. Let me know how it goes with you. I am now settled in Babylon but I am in great anxiety because I have not seen you. Tell me when you will come, that I may rejoice. Come in the month of Arakhsamna (November). May you, for my sake, live for ever.


This is a Babylonian Love Letter 4,000 Years Old. I read the article on it in the New York Times. Truly amazing, it was written on a clay brick in Babylonia.  Link 4,000 Years Old Love Letter .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails